Here’re my current thoughts. Please review and comment. Most comps will have one of the following. I listed them in order of who to pick as your initial target. Remember, if an enemy uses their trinket they likely become your kill target. If an enemy runs behind a pillar they might be the best target.
- Warlock pet
- Resto sham (after shutting down initial burst [e.g., feral])
- Shadow priest
- Resto druid
- Double burst melee (e.g., warrior, enhance shaman, rogue, feral) hit the target that overextends
- Other healers
- Single melee
Targets according to Joefernandes
Here’s a list from Joefernandes from a turbo comp perspective. I think it mostly works for any comp.
- LSD: pet>lock or rdruid (optimal target [OT])
- MLS: pet>lock or mage (OT)
- RMP: mage
- RMD: druid
- Ebola: DK or feral (OT)
- WW/DK: pally>dk if you can’t hit pally
- Shatter: mage or spriest (OT)
- Destro MLP: lock or mage (OT)
- Turbo: rdruid
- Jungle: feral on burst or healer in trouble then rshaman
- Melee/lock/shaman: pet>lock if dark soul>shaman
- Ret/hunter/shaman: rshaman
- Rogue/boomie/priest: boomie
OT means you hit whatever target you can reach.