Posted by Kpul in Arena Junkies:
“When you vanish, you get your vanish buff but you arent actually in stealth mode yet. So when you vanish just hit stealth as if you are reentering stealth and anyone who is in combat with you, as long as you are the only person they are in combat with, will drop combat. and you will be able to sap them
so for anyone new to rogue if you wanna look fly in AB or any flag capping map. if someone is defending a flag and you blind and try to cap they obviously are going to trinket.. so while they are still near flag you can just vanish > stealth > sap instantly and recap for the finesse cap.”
Paladin, holy ArenaJunkies
Rogue, subtlety: long dance build
Rogue, subtlety: Thief’s Bargain build
Shaman, elemental: Effs
Irub post on maximizing focused rage burst
Warrior, fury: Bajheera
Building around Phantom Assassin in row 6 of the Honor Talents seems to provide a lot of uptime for Shadow Dance.
Here’s Phantom Assassin:
- Increases duration of Shadow Dance by 3 seconds
- Automatically trigger Symbols of Death when you enter stealth, including Shadow Dance
Row 1: Gladiator’s Medallion, if you have Every Man for Himself (EMFH). Use EMFH for stuns. Otherwise, consider Relentless since it will reduce the duration of all crowd control by 25%. The orc racial further improves that to 45%.
Row 2: Reinforced Armor to increase your maximum health by 10% since it will increase the value of your healing while in stealth, including Shadow Dance. Sparring if you’re facing a mostly melee group.
Row 3: Cut to the Chase to catch your enemy and stop fast (e.g., demon hunter) enemy flag carriers.
Row 4: Shadow’s Caress increases your cooldown recovery by 30% when in stealth. This build will have you in stealth a lot. But all three seem viable depending on the situation. Honor Among Thieves may be best in RBGs if you’re in the team fight most of the time. Haven’t been using Smoke Bomb, though I wish I had it for a few attempted kills on EFCs.
Row 5: All look viable. I’m starting with Cold Blood. Cheap Shot or Shadow Strike will take 10% of the target’s total health. Like Honor Among Thieves, Dagger in the Dark may be best if you’re in the team fight. Haven’t tried Veil of Midnight, which gives a 100% dodge for 2 seconds after leaving stealth, including Shadow Dance. But I spend 59% of my fight time in Shadow Dance so I’m not sure I want to give up the ~500k hits from Cold Blood.
Tier 15: Master of Subtlety gives 10% extra damage in stealth and for 6 seconds afterward.
Tier 30: I’m going with Subterfuge for the extra 2 seconds of Shadow Dance and 3 seconds of stealth abilities afterward. With Vigor you won’t be energy starved.
Tier 45: Need lots of energy for this build, so going with Vigor for 50 more base Energy and faster regeneration. Subtlety rogues tend to be energy starved.
Tier 60: I had been running Elusiveness even with the 40% reduction in PvP. But it costs 35 energy. In a 1-minute fight, Soothing Darkness, which heals you while in stealth, would heal me for 60% of my total health. That’s ~1.6 million mitigated. If I’m facing 150k dps for 1 minute, and keep Elusiveness up the whole time, I’m spending 420 energy in order to mitigate essentially the same amount. Going Soothing Darkness now.
Tier 75: Prey on the Weak
Tier 90: Premeditation for the extra combo point from your opener.
Tier 100: Master of Shadows to gain 30 energy every time you go into stealth or use Shadow Dance. Death from Above only increases damage by 25% in PvP, down from 50% in PvE.
- Get into Stealth
- If you have a choice, target specs that hate rogues the most
- DPS casters > healers > melee
- Easier to kill a DPS caster and cc the healer than vice-versa
- Set a focus target, usually a healer, but sometimes a high dps
- Prioritize kidney shot for focus target, Cheap Shot for kill target
- DPS casters > healers > melee
- I typically save Vanish for when I’m in danger of dying, plus I macro it with Cloak of Shadows so I can stay in stealth. Not necessary if your healer keeps you dispelled.
Damage Spell Priority
- Primary goal is to have lots of energy before Shadow Dance or Shadow Blades
- Nightblade at 5 combo points
- Shadow Blades, if available. Don’t overlap with Shadow Dance.
- Shadow Dance at >= 90 energy and 1 cp
- Not only can you Kick casts, you can “kick” using Cheap Shot during Shadow Dance
- Shadowstrike at < 5 combo points
- Goremaw’s Bite during Shadow Dance
- Eviscerate at 5 combo points
- Shadow Blades if 0 combo points and >= 100 energy, don’t use Shadow Dance during blades
Here’s a link to the first 16 ranks I’m planning to select
Building around Thief’s Bargain in row 6 of the Honor Talents seems to provide gameplay focused on BIG burst out of stealth then getting back to stealth quickly to reset.
Here’s the Thief’s Bargain that you get:
- 20% increased damage while in stealth
- LOSING 25% of your maximum health in exchange
- But you can Vanish every 30 seconds, with Soothing Darkness I find that my survivability is pretty good
So hit hard out of stealth and into Shadow Dance, then stealth and wait for your health and energy to return.
Row 1:In RBGs, I
will likely take was taking Relentless due to the number of crowd control effects that might be thrown at you. With the change from a 25% to a 20% reduction, I’m considering using Gladiator’s Medallion. In an arena, Gladiator’s Medallion. Otherwise, something like a polymorph will trigger Adaptation and then you won’t have your trinket when you need to escape.
Row 2: Assuming you’ll often open with full health then Hardiness might be the best choice. Reinforced Armor to increase your maximum health by 10% which in turn increases your self-healing by 10%. Potentially, Sparring against melee teams.
Row 3: Silhouette allows a 15-second cooldown, down from 30 seconds, if you Shadowstep to an ally. Maneuverability in RBGs to remove movement-impairing effects when you Sprint (e.g., for flag carriers). It also works with an artifact trait to allow you sprint which will then cause you to vanish and allow you to cap a flag in stealth.
Row 4: Shadow’s Caress increases your cooldown recovery by 30% when in stealth. Another good reason to get back into stealth for a quicker burst reset.
Row 5: All look viable. I’m starting with Cold Blood. Cheap Shot or Shadow Strike will take 10% of the target’s total health.
Tier 15: Master of Subtlety gives 10% extra damage in stealth and for 6 seconds afterward. I’m not sure about finisher priorities but here’s my guess (highest to lowest):
- Death from Above (Tier 100 talent)battlegrounds.
- Nightblade: Does more overall damage than Eviscerate, but it’s spread over time and is dispellable.
Tier 30: Initially, I thought Nightstalker to make Shadow Strike and Cheap Shot hit harder but the PvP stat multipliers reduced it significantly. I didn’t need Shadow Focus to avoid being energy starved during Shadow Dance since I go with Vigor. Subterfuge is always a good choice.
Try to open with Cheap Shot (see Tier 75 below).
Tier 45: Going with Vigor for 50 more base Energy and faster regeneration. Subtlety rogues tend to be energy starved, which is another reason you won’t be tunneling a target.
Tier 60: Soothing Darkness which heals you while in stealth, including Shadow Dance. Consider combining with Reinforced Armor for additional self-healing.
Tier 75: Prey on the Weak for 10% extra damage from all sources while your Cheap Shot opener has the target disabled.
Tier 90: Premeditation for the extra combo point from your opener, want to get to 6 combo points in the first 6 seconds in order to maximize Death from Above damage.
Tier 100: All three look viable. I’m starting with Master of Shadows to gain 30 energy every time I go into stealth or use Shadow Dance.
Other Things I Found Interesting
- Shadow Blades: 3 min cd; 15 seconds of giving an extra combo point from combo point generators. The shadow damage is dispellable.
- Backstab: can use from any position but damage increases by 30% if behind the target.
- Can make and use Crimson Vials. Restores 30% of health over 6 seconds.Usable every 30 seconds.
- Kick has a 15 second cd.
- Tricks of the Trade is back! Give your ally and yourself 6 seconds of 15% increased damage before coming out of stealth.
- Shadow Strike allows you to “step” to a target within 25 yards.
- Symbols of Death: Make sure to refresh. Lasts 35 seconds and increases your damage by 20%. Also, it makes your next Shadow Strike an automatic critical strike.
- Shadow Dance is now 3 seconds of stealth abilities. You get 3 charges with a 1-minute recharge.
- Blind still has a short 15-yard range.